Applications are invited for the position of Driver at United Nations World Food Programme.
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Uganda. Currently WFP focuses on three priority areas: Saving lives in Emergencies; Building Resilience through Predictable Safety Nets; Improving Nutrition & Mother-and Child Health; and Supporting Small Holder Farmers to Access Markets. WFP has operations in various parts of the Country.
Job Summary: The incumbent will drive light vehicles, vans, motorcycles or any other type of land transport. They may also be assigned to operate speed boats or other types of watercrafts. The job may involve basic administrative assistance in the office or stores. The Driver will provide efficient and safe transportation of authorized personnel and/or commodities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide transportation of authorized personnel including translation of basic conversations from/to the local language, and/or delivery of various items/commodities following authorized routing and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorised destinations.
- Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status, to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency.
- Responsible that the assigned vehicle is kept clean and in a good condition including all equipment, the maintenance is done on time, vehicle is fully equipped with required travel authorisations and supplies, and any mechanical issues are reported to the supervisor to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and/or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems, to seek for instructions and facilitate informative decisions on the way forward.
- Outside driving duties, perform basic office related tasks such as filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required including delivery/collection of various items, mailing service and payment of office telephone and other bills to ensure administrative support to clients.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UN World Food Programme (WFP) Driver job placement should have completed secondary school education.
- Formal driver’s training with a valid driver’s license/certification to operate assigned vehicle following local rules and regulations;
- Knowledge of any/or all of the local languages in the region (Luo, Acholi and Langi) is an added advantage
- At least two years of work experience as a Driver, preferably in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a demonstrated safe driving record.
- Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, trucks and other kinds of motorised vehicles.
- Experience in defensive driving is desirable.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, local roads/waterways and conditions, and security issues.
- Knowledge of the vehicle loading capacity and other parameters.
- Knowledge of driving/boat operating rules and regulations whichever applicable.
- Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, buoyant wearable safety devices, etc.).
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods.
- Knowledge and ability to use radio, email, telephone and other applications.
- Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy and tact.
NB: Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
All candidates who desire to join the United Nations World Food Programme are encouraged to submit their applications online at the link below.