UK businesses and research organisations can apply for a share of up to £3 million from DFID for projects with partners in eligible African countries.
UK Government Agri-tech Catalyst Funding Competition
There is up to £3 million of funding available from the Department for International Development (DFID) for early stage feasibility studies, mid stage industrial research and late stage experimental development. Projects must work on agri-tech and food chain innovations with partners in eligible African countries.
The aim of this competition is to increase the pace of development of agricultural and food systems innovation and its uptake by farmers and food systems actors in Africa. Actors can include manufacturers, processors, retailers, distributors and wholesalers.
All projects must be collaborative and must include at least one partner from the UK and one from an eligible African country. All funding for businesses and research organisations will be sent through the administrative lead organisation.
UK Government Agri-tech Catalyst Funding Competition Eligibility
Any UK business claiming funding must be eligible to receive state aid at the time we confirm you will be awarded funding.
Early stage feasibility studies must last between 12 and 18 months. Mid stage industrial research can last up to 3 years. Late stage experimental development can last up to 18 months.
If your project’s total eligible costs or duration fall outside of our eligibility criteria, you must provide justification by email to email@example.com at least 10 days before the competition closes. We will decide whether to approve your request.
All projects must:
- be collaborative
- include a partner from an eligible African country from the list below
- include a technical lead from any country
- include a UK-based administrative lead
- implement significant activity in the eligible African country
- include at least one business
See the table in the guidance for applicants to fully understand the different international collaboration options.
Value of Award: Your project’s total eligible costs must be between:
- £100,000 and £500,000 for early stage feasibility studies
- £250,000 and £1 million for mid stage industrial research
- £150,000 and £800,000 for late stage experimental development
How to Apply for UK Government Agri-tech Catalyst Funding Competition
- register online using the green button
- read the guidance for applicants for this competition
- consider attending one of the briefing events listed in ‘dates’
- complete and upload your online application to our secure server
We will not accept late submissions. Your application is confidential.
External, independent experts will assess the quality of your application. We will then select the projects to fund, building a portfolio of projects that:
- are high quality
- address the range of themes as described in the scope
- represent the potential for return on investment for the company and the UK
Subject to meeting the quality threshold, we reserve the right to manage the portfolio to achieve the correct balance of projects and funding.
You must use Microsoft Word or your application will be ineligible.
For more information, visit the UK Government Agri-tech Catalyst Funding Competition.
Application Deadline: 29th May 2019 12:00pm