Applications are invited for the position of Manager Corporate Affairs at the Uganda Development Bank Ltd (UDBL).
Uganda Development Bank Ltd (UDBL) is the country’s only Development Finance Institution (DFI) established in 1972. The Bank has recently re-positioned itself as a partner to the Government of Uganda in delivering the theme of its National Development Plan.
Job Summary: The Manager Corporate Affairs will lead the design and implementation of a vast array of interventions to enhance the Bank’s brand health and engagement with stakeholders and the public, whilst also ensuring that a stellar service experience is delivered to the Bank’s customers. The role holder is shall be accountable for the Bank’s stakeholder engagement agenda and customer experience proposition; he/she will ensure that the Bank’s external stakeholders are kept aware and informed of UDBL’s policies, programs and services whilst maintaining the Bank’s image of a solid and professional financial institution operating with transparency and integrity. Additionally, the jobholder shall champion internal communication programs aimed at aligning staff to organizational objectives and aspirations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Manager Corporate Affairs will contribute to the achievement of the Bank’s business objectives by:
- Build relationships with external and strategic stakeholders such as members of government, potential and existing investors, international counterparts, etc.
- Design and implement a targeted approach and strategies to improve UDBL brand health and manage the bank’s reputation.
- Design and implement the Bank’s social investment (CSR) strategy
- Coordinate the development, implementation and review of the Bank’s the annual marketing plan in line with the projected growth levels, the existing business levels and Bank business plan and aspirations
- Build and maintain effective relationships/contacts with the media, ensuring timely response to requests for information and with a high degree of professionalism, enhance/maintain UDB’s corporate reputation.
- Develop and execute public relations programmes designed to project a favourable corporate image and gain public support for corporate objectives.
- Champion initiatives to inculcate thought leadership within the unit
- Co-ordinate all activities relating to the preparation and publication of the Bank’s Annual Report to ensure completion in the specified timeframe.
- Work closely with the Investments and Monitoring and Evaluation teams to develop and guide the implementation of communication strategies to project to internal and external stakeholders the organization’s work, objectives and development impact.
- Develop/implement a framework to gauge the public perception of the Bank and implement appropriate strategies and action steps to ensure alignment of public perception with the image desired by the Bank
- Select and determine the Bank’s participation in public activities, such as exhibitions, trade shows and seminars, ensuring that such activities promote the best interests of the Bank, as well as advancing its mission and objectives.
- Organize corporate events including but not limited to press conferences, exhibitions, promotional events, sponsorships, tours, road shows, etc.
- Ensure the maintenance of an information centre to support the work of the Bank; ensure the availability of current and relevant resource materials.
- Review press releases, presentation material and any other communiques from the Bank as may be appropriate.
- Respond to inquiries from the general public (including media) on the function of the Bank.
- Keep abreast of communication and public relations trends and recommend their adoption where necessary, to enhance the work of the Bank.
- Map key external stakeholders and liaise with Research to keep the Bank informed of socio-economic issues that may impact key stakeholder relations.
- Develop and implement strategies to build the Bank’s image among strategic stakeholders.
- Develop, manage and/or implement the Bank’s corporate and social calendar
- Manage the public relations aspect of any potential crisis situation
- Provide oversight for an effective and stellar service to the Bank’s customers and clients by ensuring that customer needs are appropriately anticipated and addressed; and that any customer enquiries, queries and complaints are tracked and resolved in a timely manner.
- Direct the development of work plans and budgets for direct reports; monitor and review performance against budget, taking corrective action as necessary.
- Constantly and consistently review the competency and performance of all team members in the unit, address any performance shortfalls and/or recommend/implement, in conjunction with HR, appropriate performance enhancement interventions.
- Develop, in conjunction with each direct report, the respective individual development plan; provide continuous coaching and lead the implementation of each team member’s individual development plan.
- Annually review and update individual job accountabilities and performance targets for all direct reports; ensure alignment to the department’s strategic plan and the Bank’s business plan.
- Plan and implement appropriate training for direct reports whilst ensuring also that all other members of staff in the department also receive the requisite training.
- Develop and implement communication strategies
- Respond to inquiries on behalf of the bank
- Execution of corporate events
- Sign documents on behalf of UDB, in line with the respective delegated authority/mandate
- Take lead on corporate affairs activities/processes
- Participate in the hire, and discipline of direct reports
- Recommend (to Management) relevant Policy Changes
- Advise Management on any related strategic & operational issues
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Uganda Development Bank (UDB) Manager Corporate Affairs career opportunity must hold a good bachelor’s degree in a related field of study (e.g. marketing, communication, business or banking) from a recognised institution;
- A related post-graduate qualification (master’s degree) or related equivalent professional qualification (e.g. CIMA).
- Membership of related Professional bodies /networks/groups (e.g. in marketing, public relations, corporate affairs, etc) is desirable
- At least five years progressive working experience in a marketing, public relations or corporate communications role in a large commercial/private/public institution;
- At least three years of experience within the above-stated job function at management or senior level;
- Experience and/or ability to manage a team of diverse professionals OR previous experience as a unit/department head is desirable.
- Related experience in a banking, project finance or investment banking institution would be an added advantage
- Previous exposure to strategy formulation including driving marketing strategy/policy formulation and review
- Proven experience in executing related projects and tasks, particularly stakeholder management initiatives, corporate social investment programs, communication programs, etc
- Excellent Communication (oral & written) skills, including Strong report & proposal writing abilities, formal presentation capabilities
- Strong self-drive and self-management
- Market research expertise – effective data gathering, analysis & interpretation
- Technical marketing or corporate communication/affairs skills
- Excellent interpersonal/relational skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
How to Apply
All applicants are strongly encouraged to hand deliver their applications which should include an up-to-date curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic documents and contact addresses of three professional references to: The Director Strategy and Corporate affairs, 1st Floor Wing B, Rwenzori Towers, Plot 6 Nakasero Road, P.O. Box 7210, Kampala. Uganda.
Deadline: 16th November 2018