Job title: Legal Manager
Reporting to: Corporate Relations & Legal Director
Purpose Of The Role:
- Enable UBL to achieve its business objectives in a legally compliant way while unlocking commercial opportunity through good practice.
- Preserve value (financial and reputational) by minimising the risk of value leakage and litigation and maintaining compliance with laws and UBL’s Codes.
- Support UBL in developing best practice corporate governance.
- Ensure the Function’s activities are prioritised and the Function is staffed internally and externally to maximise UBL’s business objectives and performance.
- Proactively provide commercial and pragmatic legal advice and solutions for all aspects of UBL’s business.
- Being a lead driver in ensuring that Diageo/EABL’s codes and policies are adhered to as well as driving sustainable behaviours where the local laws may be less rigorous than the codes and policies, including provision of on point training.
- Management of day to day issues including.
- Drafting and helping to administer contracts covering the whole spectrum of the business, employment matters, litigation, regulatory issues, product liability and counterfeit products, IP support for Group brands and appropriate liaison on Diageo owned brands, as applicable; Marketing Code review of advertising and promotions.
- Providing assistance to the EABL Company Secretary in managing UBL Board, Board Committee and General Meetings;
- Responsible for ensuring good corporate governance including advising on best practice and training across a number of functions.
- With the assistance of Diageo Global Compliance and Diageo Legal Function the Legal Counsel is responsible for aspects of the Company’s compliance agenda.
- Review current processes and ways of working with the aim to embed proactive and commercial legal support for UBL in particular in the context of being a part of EABL and Diageo and with the context that UBL has only recently had direct legal support.
- Work closely with the Diageo Legal Function (and Diageo Company Secretary Function, where applicable) to take advantage of appropriate functional experience and support.
Top 3-5 Accountabilities:
- Function as a highly effective legal and business partner.
- Ensure that the Legal Function is an integral part of the UBL and EABL business (including visibility in market) so it receives appropriate commercial and other functional inputs.
- Embed functional best practice in the Group.
- Achieve the right balance between hands on “doing” of legal work, managing external lawyers and training of staff on relevant topics.
- Be a proactive member of the UBL Extended Leadership team
TQualifications and Experience Required:
- Formal legal qualifications and training as required by law to work as a legal practitioner in Uganda.
- Strong commercial law background especially in the negotiation and documentation of commercial contracts relevant to the Group’s business and giving advice in relation to marketing, sales and promotion activities. Preferably in house experience.
- A good working knowledge of the following legal areas – contracts, product liability, IP, employment, antitrust, litigation, corporate governance.
- Strong, analytical, drafting and negotiating skills.
- Open and outward looking attitude.
- Ability to work confidently and stand ground with more senior managers.
- Strong commercial and pragmatic approach.
- Strong coaching and leadership skills.
- Ability to impact and influence upwards.
- At least 4 years post qualification experience as a lawyer.
Job title: Exports & Imports Manager
Reporting to: Head – Logistics & Customer Services.
Job Purpose: The Exports and Imports Manager is responsible for ensuring accurate and proper clearance and declaration of exports and imports and customs compliance matters under the UBL portfolio. He / She will be responsible for all customs payments for UBL as well as managing the various relationships with the revenue authorities across UBL’s territories.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure that all the requisite customs declaration documents are available at the point of importation and exportation and the same records are well kept in the archives (i.e. for export, remission purposes) and easily accessible as and when needed.
- For exports ensure all appropriate documentation is received from distributor/their logistics partner in order for UBL to be able to claim rebates.
- Review all invoices for customs declaration purposes and approve tax worksheets provided by the tax agents to ensure correct taxes are paid, correct HS codes are used and correct declarations are made.
- Administer and implement all customs and border protection for various security programs and maintain compliance to all customs procedures.
- Design all SOPs(Standard Operating procedure) for import/export department and ensure compliance to all ISO guidelines and prepare reports to be submitted to government agencies.
- Facilitate the processing of Certificates of Origins for export products.
- Collaborate with the supply and finance teams and perform audit on processes and maintain expert knowledge on all customs Regulations.
- Manage all customs related revenue authority audits.
- Carry out monthly review/reconciliation of bond utilisation and ensure that UBL operates under a valid bond at all times.
- Carry out a weekly review of all the import taxes paid through the GPA account to ensure that these are reconciled against the tax payments and for purposes of claiming input VAT.
- Carry out weekly review of invoices vs imports declaration
- Provides input into the appointment of clearing agents on e-tax on an annual basis to allow for clearing of goods.
- Carry out research for various departments on all import and export laws and procedures and maintain knowledge on all tariffs and licenses and collaborate with finance team and maintain inventory of all products
- Responsible for all CARM controls relating to customs
- Update project Swan(this is a documentation of all customs and excise processes) on a quarterly basis
- Establish good relationships with the clearing agents and revenue authority.
- Proactively manage relationships with revenue authorities on all customs matters
- Liaise with the planning team and the procurement team to coordinate logistics for the imports.
- Partner with suppliers and inventory planners and ensure accurate movement of all international goods and ensure arrival of goods within required timeframe and obtain best freight rates at all times.
- Provide technical support to the corporate relations/finance department as may be necessary for purposes of managing relationships with authorities and also for lobbying purposes
- Proactively follow up on any tax planning ideas as well as any risk mitigation measures for the Group
- Provide guidance to the business on areas that may impact on tax compliance and the associated tax cost.
Qualifications Experience Required
- First degree level of education required in a business related field.
- Interaction with ASYUDA
- Good hands on working knowledge of EAC customs legislation, international trade, WTO and GATT Guidelines
- Demonstrate basic accounting knowledge
- Minimum two years’ experience in a large, reputable commercial organisation or tax advisory firm.
- Experience in a customs Department or a logistics entity will be an added advantage