Sweden is a Scandinavian nation with thousands of coastal islands and inland lakes, along with vast boreal forests and glaciated mountains. Its principal cities, eastern capital Stockholm and southwestern Gothenburg and Malmö, are all coastal. Stockholm is built on 14 islands. It has more than 50 bridges, as well as the medieval old town, Gamla Stan, royal palaces and museums such as open-air Skansen.
Every year, many people travel to Sweden for different reasons either for tourist, work, study, or visit. Depending on the purpose of our travel to Sweden, there are different types of visas that apply to the occasion.
So before applying for Sweden Schengen visa, it is important to know the Sweden Schengen visa requirements and which of the visa category that you are eligible for.
General Documents for Sweden Schengen Visa Application
- Download the Sweden Visa Application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Sweden Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- A copy of your return-ticket reservation. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa – if not otherwise required
- Travel health insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000€ coverage within Sweden and the entire Schengen area
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Sweden and itinerary
- Flight ticket reservation with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Sweden
- Hotel booking reservation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Sweden
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Means of subsistence – Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Sweden. A foreigner who seeks to enter the territory of Sweden must be able to attest possessing 450 SEK or 48.26€/day of stay in Sweden, at the moment applying for a Swedish Visa to the Swedish Embassy or Consulate.
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- No-objection certificate from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- Leave approval letter from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your Swedish Visa application.
Additional Documents Required for the Most Frequent Purposes of the Sweden Visa Application
Swedish Tourist/Visitor Visa:
- Invitation letter from your family or friends in Sweden with the address and phone number – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
Sweden Visa for Business Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the Swedish company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
Sweden Visa for Medical Purposes:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Sweden, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
Sweden Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit , expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members)
- Duration of stay
- Travel itinerary
Sweden Visa for Members of Official Delegations:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay
- Place of accommodation
Sweden Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
Sweden Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Swedish citizen:
- Proof of Swedish citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of Swedish nationality or naturalization order)
- Swedish marriage certificate
- Swedish family record book
Swedish Airport Transit Visa:
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
Sweden Visa for Under-Age Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the Swedish embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Attention! Please consult the Embassy of Sweden in your country for the updated Sweden Visa requirements!