Iceland, a Nordic island nation, is defined by its dramatic landscape with volcanoes, geysers, hot springs and lava fields. Massive glaciers are protected in Vatnajökull and Snæfellsjökull national parks. Most of the population lives in the capital, Reykjavik, which runs on geothermal power and is home to the National and Saga museums, tracing Iceland’s Viking history.
Every year, many people travel to Iceland for different reasons either for tourist, work, study, or visit. Depending on the purpose of our travel to Iceland, there are different types of visas that apply to the occasion.
So before applying for Iceland Schengen visa, it is important to know the Iceland Schengen visa requirements and which of the visa category that you are eligible for.
General Documents for Iceland Schengen Visa Application
- Firstly, download the application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- Travel health insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Iceland and the entire Schengen area.
- A cover letter stating the purpose of your travel to Iceland and itinerary
- Flight Itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Iceland
- Hotel reservation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Iceland.
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Iceland.
- As the European Commission communicates, a foreign national, according to the Icelandic Law when applying for an Icelandic Visa, must attest owning an amount of subsistence of 4,000 ISK or 28.83€/day to the Icelandic Embassy or Consulate. While, the amount of money required for each entry to the territory of Iceland is 20,000 ISK or 144.13€.
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- No-objection certificate from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- Leave approval letter from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your application.
Additional Documents Required for the Most Frequent Purposes of the Iceland Visa Application
Iceland Tourist/Visitor Visa additional requirements:
- Invitation letter from your family or friends in Iceland with the address and phone number – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
Iceland Schengen Visa for Medical Purposes:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Iceland, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
Iceland Schengen Visa for Business Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the Icelandic company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation
Iceland Schengen Visa for Culture, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit , expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members)
- Duration of stay
- Travel itinerary
Iceland Schengen Visa for Members of Official Delegations:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay in Iceland
- Place of accommodation in Iceland
Iceland Schengen Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
Iceland Schengen Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Icelandic citizen:
- Proof of Icelandic citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of Icelandic nationality or naturalization order)
- Icelandic marriage certificate
- Icelandic family record book
Iceland Airport Transit Visa:
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
Iceland Schengen Visa for Underage Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Please consult with the Icelandic Embassy in your country for the updated Icelandic Visa requirements!