Greece is a country in southeastern Europe with thousands of islands throughout the Aegean and Ionian seas. Influential in ancient times, it’s often called the cradle of Western civilization. Athens, its capital, retains landmarks including the 5th-century B.C. Acropolis citadel with the Parthenon temple. Greece is also known for its beaches, from the black sands of Santorini to the party resorts of Mykonos.
Every year, many people travel to Greece for different reasons either for tourist, work, study, or visit. Depending on the purpose of our travel to Greece, there are different types of visas that apply to the occasion.
So before applying for Greece Schengen visa, it is important to know the Greece Schengen visa requirements and which of the visa category that you are eligible for.
General Documents for a Greece Visa Application
- Firstly, download the application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Greece Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- Travel medical insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Greece and the entire Schengen area
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Greece and itinerary
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Flight Itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Greece
- Hotel Reservation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Greece.
- Means of subsistence – Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Greece
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Leave approval letter from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your Greek Visa application.
Additional Documents Required for the Most Frequent Purposes of the Greece Visa Application
Greece Tourist/Visitor Visa:
- Invitation letter from your family or friends in Greece with the address and phone number – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
Greece Visa for Business Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the Greek company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
Greece Visa for Medical Purposes:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Greece, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
Greece Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit , expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members)
- Duration of stay
- Travel itinerary
Greece Visa for Members of Official Delegations:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay
- Place of accommodation
Greece Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
Greece Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Greek citizen:
- Proof of Greek citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of Greek nationality or naturalization order)
- Greek marriage certificate
- Greek family record book
Greece Airport Transit Visa:
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
Greece Visa for Under-Age Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the Greek embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Please consult with the German Embassy in your country for the updated German Visa requirements!