By this inaugural call, FARA and the International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies (CIHEAM-Bari), Italy, invite applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates for fully funded training at MSc level and Advanced Short Courses in Agricultural Research and Innovation with focus in the following areas:
Agricultural Research and Innovation Fellowship for Africa
The Agricultural Research and Innovation Fellowship for Africa (ARIFA) is the capacity development component of Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA)’s Holistic Empowerment for Livelihoods Program (HELP). ARIFA aims to produce a new generation of fit-for-purpose workforce to re-engineer African agri-food sector to provide the change factor for rapid agricultural transformation in the next 10 years, using the Integrated Agricultural Research for Development (IAR4D) approach. Under the program, suitably qualified Africans will be trained in ARIFA- affiliated universities and centers of Agricultural Research for Development (AR4D) in ARIFA affiliated countries including, but not limited to Brazil, China, Cuba, India, Italy and the Netherlands.
Field of Study
Master of Science ( 2 years)
- Land and Water Resource Management: Irrigated Agriculture
- Precision Integrated Pest Management for Fruit and Vector Vegetables
- Mediterranean Organic Agriculture
B. Advanced Short Courses
- Sustainable Development of Coastal Communities
- Innovation & Youth Entrepreneurship in the Mediterranean Agri-food Sector
Agricultural Research and Innovation Fellowship for Africa Eligibility
All applicants for the current call must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of one of the following countries: Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Niger, Kenya, Sudan, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda
- There is no limit of age for the short courses, however, male candidates applying for MSc Program must be aged 30 years or less and females 35 years or less at the commencement of the Program.
- Not possess citizenship or permanent residency in any country outside Africa;
- Have attained a minimum education level of a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university, with at least a second class or its equivalent in a relevant field;
- Applicants that demonstrate records of engagement and contribution to solving agricultural problems will have an extra advantage;
- Commit to participating in an alumni network of FARA IAR4D practitioners under FARA Post-fellowship plan.
Eligible Countries: Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Niger, Kenya, Sudan, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda
Value of Award
- Air travel from home country to CIHEAM-Bari
- Tuition fees waiver or subsidized
- A monthly stipend
- Placement for Postgraduate study, MSc and short training levels in prestigious universities and centres of research in Brazil, China, Cuba, India, Italy, Netherlands etc.,
- An innovation grant at a FARA-supported Innovation Platform in home country upon completion
- Being part of the ARIFA alumni to drive Africa’s AR4D in the coming years
Duration of Award:
- Masters: 2 years
- Short course: 6 months
How to Apply for Agricultural Research and Innovation Fellowship for Africa
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should download ARIFA application forme here.
For more information, visit the Agricultural Research and Innovation Fellowship for Africa.
Application Deadline: 30th June, 2019.