Application for the African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YCV) programme is now open. Interested Africans can now apply for the AU-YVC programmes below.
African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC) Programme
Deciding to become an AU-YV is a life changing decision opening opportunities to serve in a community other than your own and assisting in the local development efforts. Africa needs countless skilled labor each year in all fields and professional sectors. Youth Volunteerism has contributed significantly to the development of most advanced economies and contributes a substantively to annual GDP. In Africa, Youth Volunteerism would not only contribute directly to the development of the continent, but is also a means of direct and meaningful youth participation and empowerment.
African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC) Programme Eligibility
In order to be considered for African Union Youth Volunteer Corps, you must fulfill all of the following requirements:
- You must be an African Citizen or you are of African Decent (African Diaspora with non African Citizenship)
- You are age 18 – 34
- You have at least a post secondary certified training and qualifications (Bachelor equivalent) with above average performance
- Available to dedicate minimum of 12 (twelve) months to 24 (twenty-four) months for volunteer work
- Good knowledge of at least one official AU languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese) and willing to learn others
- Verifiable minimum of one year of volunteer and one year of work experience
- You have an up to date and chronologically complete Curriculum Vitae (please click on Sample CV for reference)
You should be both mentally and physically in a condition that allows you to travel, live and serve in a new environment. Also, take into consideration that there may not be health services available in the area where you will be deployed like those you are used to in your home country, especially if you have special medical conditions.
You will also be required to acquire all the necessary travel documents and vaccination cards.
Once an application is received it would be accessed against the Evaluation Matrix based on the following criteria:
- Type of qualification acquired and grades received (Bachelors-, Masters Degree, PHD);
- Number and Type of languages spoken (with primary focus on Arabic, English, French, Portuguese Swahili and possible combinations);
- Type of volunteer and work experience: more weight would be given to community outreach and working with others in teams;
- Comparative Advantage I: Why does one want to become an AU-YV
- Comparative Advantage II: What makes an applicant a good candidate for placement?
- Comparative Advantage III: Previous Volunteer Experience (its significance to the vacancy)
- Each application is scored based on the requirements of the vacancy. This means the same application may score different for different vacancies.
The Ideal candidate:
- Is change driven and has passion for development,
- Has great deal of leadership skills and can guide others,
- Remains productive under pressure and in challenging environments,
- Is flexible, independent, and has sense of humor,
- Self-motivated and has interest in volunteer work,
- Has absorptive capacity to learning on the job,
- Appreciates and respects other languages, cultures, religious and social norms,
- Has a great deal of social networking skills.
Value of Award
- As a volunteer, apart from applying your skills and knowledge to solve everyday challenges, you would gain crucial international work experience and acquire a great deal of leadership and soft skills, develop your self reliance and acquire new professional skills.
- Most of all however, you would gain a life changing experience of learning a new culture, experience a new lifestyle, and get to know a new African country and its people outside your own. This experience would guaranteed shape your life and remain in your memory for the rest of your life.
- Living Condition: Your living condition may vary extremely between rural and urban communities. Availability of running water, internet and electricity in your house or even a small rural hut . However AU-YVC ensures minimal standards for modest living conditions enabling a healthy lifestyle with access to clean water, sanitation and health care.
- Living Expense: AU-YVC would provide you with a living allowance that would enable you cover all your expenses during your deployment and provide you with a medical insurance and a plane ticket to country of deployment and back home. The monthly allowance could vary greatly from country to country and within a given country itself. The guiding principle remains however, whereas volunteers are not expected to make any financial gains, they shall at the same time not incur any financial losses
Duration of Programme: Your deployment will be a minimum of 12 months and however shall not exceed 24 months.
8 July 2019 – eligibility check;
2. 31 July 2019 – successful applicants will be notified;
3. August and October 2019: Pre-deployment orientation training;
4. 2019/2020: Deployment of trained volunteers.
How to Apply for African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC) Programme
To submit your application:
1. Create an account on http://aucareers.org/ portal (instructions and video tutorial available)
2. Fill out your personal information and the application form
3. Attach the following documents:
a. Your updated professional CV (no longer than 3 pages)
b. Bio page of your passport (or national ID)
c. Copy of your highest completed qualification (no transcripts)
d. Attach a letter of recommendation (not older than 2 years) attesting to your leadership
4. Attach your cover letter. In your cover letter please respond to the following questions:
a. Why do you want to become an African Union Youth Volunteer?
b. What makes you the best candidate for AU-YVC?
c. What skills are you bringing to the AU-YVC and your host organization?
5. Review and submit your application before: Sunday, 30 June 2019 midnight (Addis Abeba time).
For more information, visit the African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC) Programme.
Application Deadline: 30th June 2019